Skip to main content

Product Review


-- Product Review --


I was so excited to have the opportunity to review yet another Vita Sciences (based in Airmont, NY, US) product! Their Maxasorb B 12 serum arrived in small cardboard envelope, and encased in a white and blue paperboard, perfectly sized box, with no additional and unnecessary packaging. Of course I had to try it right away… the serum has a slight odor, similar to the stuff dentists use to clean teeth; it is pink in color, and absorbs in seconds without residue on the skin or a greasy feeling like some creams and serums leave behind.



* There are 30 doses per tube. One “dose” = 2 full pumps, rub onto skin once per day or as needed.  Store at 55-86˚ F.




I have occasional flare-ups of eczema and had a flare up just before receiving this serum, so I was using the traditional cortisone twice when the itching and raised skin became unbearable and the natural remedies I’ve learned of to use at home including avoiding putting my hands in water and reducing exposure to heat. Long ago in my youth, I learned the benefits of using all natural products for sensitive skin types and have never used anything else since. That said, when I received this serum I was able to try it on the flare up right away and came to the conclusion that this is great for people with eczema. It instantly soothed the area and healing began. Even with subsequent flare-ups in that same area (eczema takes a while to go away completely) the daily application has helped better than anything I’ve tried. The cream also moistens the skin so as the eczema heals there is no longer dry crusty skin to continually irritate the area. I applied 2 doses per day during the flare up, and have since reduced that to once per day – as recommended – now that the eczema is healing.



Ingredients are: Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Juice, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Palm Stearic Acid, Emulsifying Wax, Cetyl Myristoleate, Panthenol, Cetyl Alcohol, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrahydropiperine, Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B 12 - 320 mcg/dose), Niacinamide (Vitamin B 3 - 120 mcg/dose), Sorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Folic Acid (Vitamin B 9 - 10 mcg/dose).



According to their website this cream is scientifically formulated with all natural ingredients to deliver vitamin B12 through your skin, providing 320 micrograms of vitamin B12, 10 micrograms of folate (a.k.a. folic acid, vitamin B9 or vitamin M) – a water soluble nutrient) and 120 micrograms of vitamin B3 with each dose. The cream is also infused with antioxidants and moisturizers, which also help to maintain healthy skin and prevent effects of aging in the skin cells. The ingredients are also specially formulated to allow for the greatest bio-availability (increasing the ability for the body to use the nutrients, rather than eliminating them, which happens with many supplements that are not “bio-available”). The serum is hypoallergenic, and paraben and gluten free.





These essential vitamins are known to help maintain energy levels, reduce stress, and preserve DNA integrity, while lowering homocysteine levels (important for cardiovascular health). B vitamins are also essential to the health of the human nervous system and getting proper sleep.  Feeling weak, having a sore tongue, getting headaches, anxiety and moodiness or depression can all be signs of lacking these vitamins. They are very helpful too in managing anemia and small intestine diseases like Chron’s and Coeliac.  These vitamins cannot be produced by the body and must be supplied by the diet or supplements like this cream.



An additional benefit with topical supplements like these is that I don’t have to take even more pills, and I do have trouble swallowing pills. Also there are fewer bottles on the table, cluttering up the space. This tube sits in the bathroom cupboard where I apply it after each daily shower. I did not see anywhere in the directions as to where to apply the product, it just said to apply to the skin – so because my hands are often affected by dryness and eczema flare-ups I simply used it on my hands.  I did notice later, however, that the FAQ section for this product (on their site) suggested applying the dose to the wrists and inner forearm area because this area has thinner skin and allows for greater absorption. One should also avoid contact with the eyes and this cream is for external use only.



The 50 ml (1.7 fl. oz.) tube has a pump on the top with a clear plastic cover to keep things sanitary and to prevent accidental messes. I’m not sure, but it looks like the pump doesn’t come off and that concerns me as most times containers have product left in the bottom …I often screw off the tops or cut containers open to get the last of the stuff – often a Tbsp. or more of the product is left in the bottom. However, I am not sure how this bottle will fair in this regard as I’ve not used it up yet.




The company’s website (Vitasciences.com) states this product has a retail list price of $29.95 (US) but is currently on sale for $19.95. The prices are the same on Amazon.com as well. For Canadians, Amazon.ca lists it at $39.95 (Canadian)

My final comment here – I’m definitely going to continue getting this product for my own personal use. 



Award-winning authors Dave and Lillian Brummet:

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet 



Comments