Skip to main content

World of Writing, Interview



-- Quote of the Day -- 

 
“…No one can tell your story but you; not brothers, mothers, sisters – it is your story from your unique point of view. So I encourage everyone writer or not, to write often… keep a journal… read as much as you can.”

~ Lynn Goodwin

Today’s quote originates from the Conscious Discussions Talk Radio episode:   http://tobtr.com/s/4660317



-- World of Writing, Interview -- 

Yes, it is time for another installment of our World of Writing interview series... Today we are featuring:  Sandy Bothmer who became interested in writing when her children were young. She tried her hand at picture book writing attending conferences, writers’ groups, and sending out manuscripts but only received the “better rejection letters” saying her story didn’t fit the publisher’s needs but asking her to submit another piece. A move across country and the heavy load of teaching third grade brought her writing to an end for a while until she received the gift of being asked to consider making her educational conference workshop into a book. That workshop became her book Creating the Peaceable Classroom: A 21st- Century Wellness Guide for Teachers, Students and Parents. Sandy is passionate about helping others learn techniques to create a climate of inner calm and vitality so that they can live healthier, happier lives and function better in their worlds. www.peaceablepathways.com





Q: What was your path to publication?

A: My path to publication was unusual. I came home from a vacation and received a letter from the original Zephyr Press asking me if I had ever considered taking the material from the workshop I was to be presenting, “Creating a Healthy Classroom Community,” at the University of Connecticut’s summer conference on gifted education, and making it into a book. The thought had never occurred to me, as I hadn’t presented this workshop before. I spoke to the acquisitions editor and mentioned that some of my techniques were out of the mainstream to which she replied, “It’s all in the way you present it.” Agreeing with her, I completed the book proposal form she sent me, and a couple of months later, heard back that they were interested. After a feasibility study, they offered me a contract (What a gift!). Some years later, Hobblebush Books agreed to publish the new, revised edition (Yet another gift!).

Q: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

A: I guess it would have to be that when I get stuck and the words aren’t flowing, I just sit quietly, close my eyes, and silently ask that the best words come to me. Most often this works and the words begin to spill out with ease.

Q: How many books/stories have you written?

A: I have had several child related articles published in parenting magazines some time ago and Creating the Peaceable Classroom: A 21st-Century Wellness guide for Teachers, Students and Parents has been published now in two versions; the new version is richer and fuller than the first. I have a picture book out right now that incorporates some of the material from it. I’m crossing my fingers that it will be accepted for publication!



Q: What is your proudest writer moment?

A: My proudest moment is definitely getting a call from my publisher on December 17, 2012 telling me that he had donated 15 books to the Newtown, CT school district for their K-6 grade teachers, and that an anonymous donor bought 160 more copies so that each of the teachers would have one. This happened because an OT in the district had been using my first edition for nearly 10 years with her students and their teachers, finding the techniques very helpful. I was amazed and very grateful to think that the content of my book might be helpful to those who had experienced such great loss in their community.

Q: What has been the best compliment you received as a writer?

A: The purchase of my book for the Newtown, CT K-6 grade teachers and the invitation to work with them offering techniques to create greater peace and calm within is, without a doubt, the best compliment I have received to date or perhaps ever will receive.





Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!
 
 



Comments