Skip to main content

World of Writing, interview


 -- Quote of the Day -- 


“Visualize what your book will look like. …Go to the local bookstores …and walk up and down the aisle and ask the helper ‘where would I find a book on…’ and describe your book – and then to look at their competition, who else is writing a book on that topic, what are they saying about it, do they have other products, open up the book to the table of contents and see what they say about that topic. …This exercise is to inspire you and help you model some successful parts and define what you are going to cover in your book. …I don’t believe in writer’s block – it is simply fear or being not sure about what you want to say. Breaking through writer’s block comes down to your vision, your purpose for writing book – if you have a compelling driving force for that book, you’re going to get through it. …call someone – ask them what questions they would have on the topic, what they would want to know, if they know anyone who you could talk to.” 

~ Ann McIndoo


Today’s quote originates from the Conscious Discussions Talk Radio episode that aired back on January 20th, 2013… titled: World of Writing with Ann McIndoo

 (*Click on the title to access the full discussion)



 -- World of Writing Interview -- 
 



* A shout out to Katie Schnack, publicist with Shelton Interactive, who suggested today's guest:
Author and academic librarian Amanda Flower joins us for a World of Writing interview! Amanda's books include the Appleseed Creek Mystery Series, which are set in Ohio’s Amish Country, and her newest novel  A Plain Scandal  fictionalizes the 2011 true crime Amish hair cutting scandal. She also writes mysteries as Isabella Alan for NAL/Penguin and children’s mysteries under her own name for Zondervan/HarperCollins. Follow Amanda on social media at: Facebook Twitter Goodreads


Q: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: I wanted to be a fine art painter. I think that’s why there are so many artists in my novels. I still like to dabble in the visual arts but purely for my own enjoyment and when I have a free moment, which isn’t often.

Q: What makes a good story?

A: Characters. For me, it always comes back to whether or not I connect with the characters. If I care about them, I will keep reading. As an author, the best compliment I can receive is someone telling me he or she connected or related to my characters on some level.

Q: What makes you write in certain genres?

A: I’m not saying I will never write another genre, but every book I’ve written is a mystery. I’m drawn to the puzzle aspect of a good mystery. Peppering the clues and red herrings throughout the novel is one of my favorite parts of writing mysteries.

Q: Do you insert your own characteristics in your writing?

A: Oh yes! If you read my first series, the India Hayes Mystery Series, and knew me, you would see many details from my life in those novels only exaggerated. For example, she is college librarian living in Ohio and so am I.

Q: What are your favorite publicity activities?

A: I love Facebook to connect with readers. If you visit my Facebook page, you will see I love to share photos from my life. Twitter is great to connect with writers. A writer can learn a lot about the industry there by following editors, agents, and fellow writers.

Q: Who are your favorite authors/poets?

A: I have so many favorite authors, but some of my very favorites are Nevada Barr, Heather Webber, Earlene Fowler, and Shelley Shepard Gray. The first three are mystery authors, and Shelley writes beautiful Amish fiction.



Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well! 



Comments